What is Community Engaged Scholarship?
Community Engaged Scholarship goes beyond the typical domains of research and teaching to incorporate a mutually beneficial relationship with the community in order to bring social justice and resources to others. Through community engaged scholarship, we gain and share understanding of social issues and provide strategies to address them. By educating ourselves and others, we may establish relationships that will bring about transformational change.
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health, Initials. (2011). Community-campus partnerships for health. Retrieved from http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/scholarship.html
Office of Leadership and Service-Learning at the University of North Carolina Greensboro. (2011). Community engaged scholarship. Retrieved from http://studentaffairs.uncg.edu/cbr/.
What is Community Engaged Teaching?
Community Engaged Teaching:
- Developing and delivering community-based instruction, such as service-learning experiences, on-site courses, clinical experiences, professional internships, and collaborative programs
- Developing and delivering off-campus teaching activities such as study-abroad courses and experiences, international instruction, and distance education courses
- Developing and delivering instruction to communities and other constituencies
Community-Engaged Research and Creative Activities?
- Writing papers for refereed journals and conference proceedings
- Creating exhibits in educational and cultural institutions
- Disseminating community-engaged research through public programs and events
- Conducting and disseminating directed or contracted research
- Conducting and reporting program evaluation research or public policy analyses for other institutions and agencies
- Developing innovation solutions that address social, economic, or environmental challenges (e.g., inventions, patents, products, services, clinical procedures and practices)
Community Engagement (Service)?
- Consulting and providing technical assistance and/or services to public and private organizations
- Writing position papers for the general public
- Collaborating with schools, businesses, advocacy groups, community groups, and civic agencies to develop policies
- Providing leadership in or making significant contribution to economic and community development activities”
About Engaged Scholarship
1. What Is Engaged Scholarship?
2. How Does Engaged Scholarship Compare with Traditional (Discovery) Scholarship?
3. Why Do Engaged Scholarship?
4. How to Do Engaged Scholarship Well
5. Exemplars of Engaged Scholarship
Engaged Scholarship and Review, Promotion, and Tenure (RPT)
1. Rationales for Giving Engaged Scholarship Standing in Research University RPT Processes
2. Policies for Assessing Engaged Scholarship in RPT Processes
3. Evaluation Criteria for Assessing Engaged Scholarship in RPT Processes
4. Demonstrating Quality and Impacts of Engaged Scholarship
5. Tenure and Promotion Portfolio Exemplars
Resources for Engaged Scholarship at Research Universities
1. Original Essays on Engaged Scholarship Written for This Toolkit
2. Journals That Focus on Engaged Scholarship
3. National Resources for Promoting and/or Carrying Out Community Engaged Research in a Research University Context
4. Annotated Bibliographies